Planning a blended family wedding is a unique process as the dynamics of each new family varies. Use this collection of prayers, readings, vows and quotes to inspire your joyous celebration of joining two separate families into one.
Prayers and Readings for a Blended Family Wedding Ceremony
- “May they nurture their family with devotion, see their children grow in body, mind and spirit,
and come at last to the end of their lives with hearts content and in joyful anticipation of heaven.”
– Source: Church of England Prayer Book
- “Lord, in your providence, you have provided the family as a place where people can experience love, learn important life lessons and find unequaled encouragement. May your design be reflected in this new family. I pray that you would unite and bind this family together; even in togetherness, may there be space to be individuals. Help each person to love, respect and encourage others within the family. May the care and hospitality within the family be extended to those outside; that others might see your presence.”
– Chelle, “Letters from the Heart: Prayer For A Blended Family”
- The secret to blending families is there is no secret. It’s scary and awesome and ragged and perfect and always changing. Love and laugh hard. Try again tomorrow. But that’s life advice, right?”
– Mir Kamin
- “Family isn’t always blood. It’s the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what.”
Wedding Vows for a Blended Family
Including children in the exchange of wedding vows is often a sensitive decision. Before choosing how deeply they are involved, it is important that you to talk to the kids about their feelings. If they want to participate, the entire family should decide together which promises they should make to each other.
Vows to Spouse: Today, as we join our lives as husband and wife, we also become a family. Just as I vow to love and support you for the rest of my days, I also pledge to support your children in achieving their dreams, to give them guidance when needed and to freely give them my unconditional love. Together, we will build the foundation of our family.
Vows to Children: I promise, from this day forward, to encourage you, love you, guide you and support you along whatever paths you take in this life. I vow to be honest, fair and respectful, offering you my unwavering affection and friendship.
Vows from Children: I promise to support your marriage, and accept my responsibility as a member of this family.
Step-Family Wedding Quotes for Invitations, Programs, and Guest Favors
- “Two families joined by love.”
- “A circle of strength and love. Our family, founded on faith, joined in love, kept by God.”
– Source: Household Words
- “Together we make one beautiful family.”
- “Having a place to go is a home. Having someone to love is a family. Having both is a blessing.”
– Donna Hedges
- “Family means putting your arms each other and being there.”
– Barbara Bush
- “We’re all a little weird, and life’s a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
– Dr. Seuss